Skate... (The demo anyway...)

Talk about EA Skate.

Skate... (The demo anyway...)

Postby []Black Magic[] on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:35 am

I already don't like it. We'll leave it at that.

Why do I not like this game?

1. I've played Tony Hawks Pro Skater for way too many years. I'm used to the X Button being the ollie button. None of this "Bring it down and flick it up" ****. I end up doing a pop shove it every time I try to ollie. grabs? holy crap they are about as hard to do as the corner glitch in TH4. Grinds... they're too easy. Just jump above a rail and you're doing a grind. Best of all no balance meter! (noobish)

2. No manuals? WTF is that ****? I couldn't figure out how to do a manual in the demo. At all... Flicking around the damn analog sticks got me no where.

3. "Timing." I know that they are going for the complete realistic take on skating... but its almost impossible to time anything accordingly. Especially if you are going for a combo.

4. The physics.... I went to a half pipe expecting to grab some big air... I sort of rolled up and rolled right back down. (It just doesn't give you that adrenaline rush.)

5. The story... N/A?
[url="http://www.tripletags.com/profile.asp?memberID=795"]Image[/url]
Heros get remembered... but Legends never die...
[]Black Magic[]

Postby []Black Magic[] on Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:40 am

Now with that being said I must give out the positives:

1. The collision detection is awsome in this game. Anything can make you bail if you do not know what you are doing before hand.

2. The replays. This is what they did good on. you can edit anything you do in a little video editor. I thought it was cool that it could record my entire skate session to let me review it afterward.

3. The graphics are ok... But still no blood for some reason. Oh well its aimed for kids... Other than that I miss the nail the trick thing from THP8 already.

4. The realistic feel. (Even though it stinks when you get tripped by a ****ing weed!)
[]Black Magic[]

Postby LangWu99 on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:08 pm

HI EVERYBODY!! :c)

Hey hows it goin all. I too have played the demos and here is my take on things

WTF IS UP WITH TIMED DEMOS!!! that is my biggest ***** about the demos. thpg only gives you 8 minutes of free skate before it ends. If you complete one of the whopping 3 tasks they give you then you get an extension but still waiting it out there is like 20 minutes play time. LImit my access to people and places but I should be able to play as much as i want with the little bit i'm given. Skate gives you 30 minutes to accomplish its demo goals but still

Graphic wise they are simliar for non hi def ppl. I can't get them full high def becuz my wife says there is nothing wrong with our 38 in tv and she won't let me buy a new new :cP Both games look pretty sharp none the less.

I have to say the analog stick for everything in skate is so f*cking annoying i can't stand it. The mechanic of it does make sense and work though.I understand their approach but for the ppl coming from the non-purist point of view its just a pain. I can't imagine a fast paced game of koth even existing in the SKATE universe becuz the controls are so involved.

and to go with bm WTF IS UP WITH THE MANUAL. I can get the charecter to manual its just so incredibly touchy its ridiculous. OKay for those of you who haven't played the demo let me tell you about this challenge. You are supposed to flip trick into a manual hold it and then flip out. for any tony hawk newb that is cake but becuz of the control scheme and how you have to flick the stick to ollie or fliptrick its so very difficult to get the analog in that exact spot to perform the manual

The only way i could get my charecter to manual is to push off a few times and then let him coast along and just barely at a slow gradual pace move the analog stick up or down. so once i get the manual i could hold it pretty easy but flipping out didn't work becuz the same stick which you are using to balance you have to use to perform the rapid motion for a flip trick.

So anyway just free skating around is an involved process and you always have to pay attention or you'll hit something and bail and then if you don't press x to get up he will just lay there for like 15 secs. Anyway for the kid who wants a realistic experience this is a great game to play becuz it is true to the real mechanic but for those of us looking to replace tony hawk and hope to find some koth action again I don't think we are going to find it here. Rent the game first becuz this is a game that I don't see as just a real blast for anybody to play.

As far as tony hawk is concerned its hard to give a full eval becuz you only get 16 minutes to play. things seem pretty solid I don't really have a ***** yet but i plan on playing more. the enivroment embedded skate challenges are neat.

hold on more in a few minutes
LangWu99

Postby []Black Magic[] on Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:03 pm

I didn't even notice that skate had a timer. I played through the basics part... messed around for around 10 minutes then exited when I couldn't even get any air off of the half pipe to land a simple kick flip. I didn't try but... can you even get off of your board in skate? That would make it a little bit better, but it gives you that classic THPS feel.
[]Black Magic[]

Postby Tomahawk Jones on Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:08 pm

Psh well I liked it... alot. Just try not to think of it as a Tony Hawk game when you play it. And skating in the bowl was my favorite part. It was hard at first but then i realized I didn't haveto ollie to go higher out of the bowl like in tony hawk games. And manualing was hella easy for me. In fact it was TOO easy. I could manual for as long as i wanted or until i ran into a wall or something.

EDIT : And BM... it's called challenge. It's a good change of pace because all games that come out nowadays are so easy anyone could beat them. This game actually requires you to practice for at least half an hour to actually be good at it.
Image http://www.HornyManatee.com <--- Because Conan says so
Tomahawk Jones

Postby LangWu99 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:41 pm

lastnight my dad called and so i had to abandon my posting but now I shall continue.

I deleted the skate demo after playing it a few times becuz it just wasn't jiving with me. It was nice to see a more challenging game but I wasn't really after a challenge. With the way .coms and magazines are after the next big thing and cool innovations I'm sure they will love skate's setup and the fact that its ea won't hurt i'm sure.

anyway i did play more thpg after i got off the phone with my dad to refresh my memory a little bit on how it played. I am excited about this game becuz it looks a whole lot better than previous games. the controls are quick and responsive. I know some people played project 8 as I choose to pass becuz i thought it sucked but the nail the trick thing is totally sweet when you're in the middle of a line and you just want to put the world in slow mo. I think i am going to be renting this as soon as its available in my area and if the rest of the game plays as well as the demo I will probably buy even if it doesn't have koth but I hope to god that it does or something similar anyway.

I have to say i'm a little pissed that eric annoying ass sparrow is back in this game. F*ck him, what a little b!tch. he is in the demo anyway he's the guy you talk to for the career lifestyle challenge.

OH speaking of lifestyles, I'm sure you guys know by now that you choose your lifestyle, career, rigger, hardcore, or street. I don't know how to take this yet becuz i haven't seen it on the full scale. I think it could be cool becuz it would add some more replay value to the single player version of the game. However if you are limited and don't have access to certain thungs unless you are this or that it might be crappy.

If we do get blessed with koth again i think the agro kick is either going to compromise games if only the hardcore lifestyle has it available or make for some intense fun if its available to everyone. That one we'll just have to see about.

overall rating for the skate demo 8.75
innovative mechanic and challenging while still looking pretty nice
definately a love it or hate it game

overall for the thpg demo 8.75
familiar isn't always bad if it was good in the first place, looks much better than others, though its familiar its still new with new aspects that so far seem to go well.
LangWu99

Postby flowT. on Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:30 am

i love this game

the flick it controls must be mastered but i played thru the demo twice and found myself filming myself flip tricking onto a big long rail and taking it down n lining up my board at the end of the grind and it was surpisingly satisfying..lining up with the objects and timing ur ollie is more challenging then the controls which is frustrating but once u hit it u feel great..manualing is very easy in this game as well just move the right analog halfway up its not that hard..i havent checked up on what the 7 online game modes will be and i don know if im going to buy it because of money restraints but this game is awesome in my opinion..the controls r much smoother then i figured they would be and the filming is way better then what u get on THPG...and the fact im not grinding electrical wires makes it cooler in my book..

SKATE > THP8/THPG/THUG2/THAW and thats about as far as i can go. i love THUG lol..depending on what the 7 modes r online and if they seem appealing enough to me im going to pay out for this game
flowT.

Postby flowT. on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:02 pm

im just watching someof the videos people r making online with hteir teams.. some even choreographed and stuff.. im no doubt about it buying this game..
flowT.

Postby flowT. on Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:23 pm

bought been playin the past few days.. i lve it.. online like all EA sports titles is a mess though.. yea u can watch people footage righ tthere which is fast and easy but in game people are all choppy.. it doesnt show when u film with other people but aw far as u see people r just appearing a few feet ahead of where u saw them b4... its not smooth at all.. and sucks.. i still recomend the game though it a challenge offline still.. and is hours of fun
flowT.

Return to KXTH @ SKATE